Monday 25 March 2013

In pursuit of perfection...

After my last post, many people commented that my honesty was refreshing and that it was nice to hear someone admitting that they aren't 'superwoman.' Now, I have never claimed to be superwoman and, most of the time, I feel like the complete opposite. In my head, I am far from my idea of the 'perfect' mum, business woman, housewife, fitness professional. So, it got me to thinking about why I feel this way and why others seem to view things differently.

So many times in life, we see what we deem to be our role models as having the perfect life. They seem to have boundless drive in all areas, manage to juggle a million and one things, be successful in all areas, and never break a sweat doing so. When we aim to create that perfection within our own lives, we fail. Why? Because, it doesn't exist. 

Not a single person who has ever been successful has reached that point without failure, periods of self doubt, stress, lack of motivation, tears...the difference between those that fail and those that succeed, is perseverance.

It took me a long time to realise that. I spent years aiming for perfection every day, and failing every day. The moment I stopped aiming for perfection was the day I discovered how to succeed. Guess what, you're going to have days when training comes second to the rest of your life, you're going to have days when all you can manage is to eat and sleep, you're going to have days when your to-do list sits there accumulating and all you can physically and mentally manage is to check one thing off. But, if you get up every day and just give it all you have, you'll get there. No matter how slow, progress is progress and means you are moving toward your goals.

Since I found out I was pregnant, quite unexpectedly since I was told I was unable to have children, I've had to learn that sometimes you have to step back. I was so ill during pregnancy that I physically could not train and, with the onset of post natal depression, it took a long time for me to get back to training with any regularity. But, it was 9 months. 9 months, out of my entire life. Does it mean I failed? No, it means that I took care of what I needed to at the time; my health and my baby. It doesn't mean I'm any less of a fitness freak at heart, and the fact that my body is still not back to pre-pregnancy state does not mean I'm not living a healthy lifestyle. I'll get there and, if you keep pushing, so will you.

Fitness is a lifestyle. It isn't something that is determined by how you look, how often you train, how often you fail. It's something that's in your heart, something that you aim to work at every single day. Business is the same. You take small steps everyday toward where you ultimately want to be and eventually you get there. Learn to enjoy the process, the small victories every day. Whether that's lifting a weight you couldn't last week, hitting a few more 'likes' on your business page, seeing a little less jiggle on your belly, or finishing a task that you needed to do...it all adds up. And, on those days when all you manage is to drag yourself from bed to sofa and back again, enjoy that day off, relish the quiet time, relax and really enjoy it then, back to work the next day.

Perfection does not exist. That guy you look at and assume has it all, because he's ripped and driving a lambo, has probably seen more failure in his life than you can even dream of. The woman with the amazing body, 3 kids, seemingly perfect relationship, successful business and 4x4 will still have all the same issues you have, and will have battled through hard times too.

Stop comparing yourself to everyone else and just start aiming to be the best YOU can be on any given day, forgive yourself failures, learn from them and keep moving. That's the key to success! 

No comments:

Post a Comment